Evaluation, reflection and sense making
Take some time to evaluate, reflect on, and make sense of the work that you have done so far. This is crucial to make sure you are moving in the right direction. A first step here is to evaluate the quality of the process you have conducted so far, along with the quality of the data, information and content generated through this process. Use the list of conditions below to guide your evaluation.
- You have a skilled implementation team in place
- You have a framework in place that enables deep learning
- You have identified preliminary monitoring and evaluation indicators of both success and lack thereof
- You have a plan for setting up small-scale pilots that will enable you to test assumptions and fill knowledge gaps
- You have a strategy for how to embed the action strategies in the wider system to allow for more widespread impact
- You have strengthened commitment and support from implementation partners to move forward
Having evaluated your work, it is useful to reflect a bit more deeply on what you have learned from the Wayfinder process so far. Use the questions below to guide this exploration. Make sure to capture your learnings, they will be important to guide you on what to do next.
- How was your Change Narrative wrong?
- Where was the systems model wrong?
- Where did the action strategies work/where did they not work?
- Should the coalition change? (And regardless, what is your succession plan for it?)
- How has your view on your own role and task in the system evolved?
Nurturing the capacity for adaptation and transformation is a continuous process, which means that the Wayfinder journey will not end here. Try to make sense of what your lessons learned so far means for your ambition to navigate towards a sustainable, safe and just future.
Let your findings guide you back to one of the previous process phases: 1) Building a coalition for change, 2) Creating a shared understanding of system identity, 3) Exploring system dynamics, or 4) Developing innovative strategies for change, where a new iteration of the Wayfinder cycle starts.